My go to order at Wagamama is their yasai cha han don buri bowl – stir-fried brown rice with tofu and mushrooms, mangetout, sweetcorn and spring onions. I have it without the egg now, being vegan, but it actually tastes way better without the egg than with, it gets gorgeously sticky from the yummy sauce and doesn’t get overpowered by scrambled eggy taste!
I swapped out the mange tout for runner beans, as we have a tonne of them at the moment! If using mange tout, fry them with the mushrooms rather than boiling with the rice.
My hubby said this was better than the original, but then he might just be sucking up to me because he reversed my car into a wall yesterday (Yep. We were stranded for 4 hours til the AA could get us a new tyre, then had the most hair raising drive home ever through the countryside in a very poorly car!). He’s not in my good books 😉
Let me know if you try this out, and what you think of it compared to Waga’s 🙂 I’ll post a recipe for my easy pickled cucumbers to go with it tomorrow! L x
Wagamama’s Yasai Cha Han Don Buri Recipe
- 250g brown rice
- 200g block of firm tofu
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup mange tout or runner beans (cut into bite size pieces)
- Half a cup of sweetcorn
- 3 spring onions (whites finely chopped and green tops chopped and reserved for sprinkling at the end)
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder and salt
For the sauce:
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- half a teaspoon garlic powder
- half a teaspoon salt
- a quarter teaspoon pepper
- Cook the rice according to packet instructions, adding the runner beans (if using) for the last 8 minutes.
- While the rice cooker, add a glug of olive oil to a wok over a medium heat, add the tofu cubes, season lightly with garlic powder and salt, and cook until golden brown on all sides. Place in a bowl and set to one side.
- Add a little more olive oil and fry the mushrooms and spring onion whites for about 4 minutes. Add the sweetcorn and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Mix all sauce ingredients together in a glass or cup.
- Drain rice, and add to wok with mushrooms. Add in the tofu.
- Cook for a few minutes until all ingredients are piping hot, then pour over the sauce.
- Mix well, and serve in bowls topped with the reserved green onion tops.