This veggie sausage and bean casserole makes an easy and satisfying weeknight supper or lovely lazy Sunday brunch.
To make this even easier, I make extra potatoes and cook the sausages with dinner the night before, then it just needs frying up on the stovetop the next day – you can’t beat one pan cooking!
I use Linda McCartney brand sausages to make this, as they are vegan and tend to be readily available in most supermarkets.
As the weather is getting colder and the nights are getting dark I am definitely falling back in love with winter cooking. Soups, stews and porridge are all making their way back onto our table, in place of the lighter meals we’ve enjoyed through summer.
What are your favourite autumn / winter meals?
Veggie Sausage And Bean Casserole
- 2-4 veggie sausages (I use Linda McCartney brand)
- A glug of olive oil
- A sprinkle of garlic powder (or 1 crushed clove fresh garlic)
- A sprinkle of dried mixed herbs.
- 1 onion, chopped (I used a red onion)
- Pinch of salt
- 1-2 handfuls of potatoes (cooked, cooled and sliced)
- 1 handful cherry tomatoes, chopped into quarters
- 1 handful chopped mushrooms
- One handful of spinach
- 1 tin of baked beans
- Cook the sausages according to packet instructions. When cooked, slice them into rounds and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a frying pan over a medium heat and add the garlic and herbs.
- Add the onion and a good pinch of salt, and fry for 2-3 minutes, then add the potatoes. Fry, turning regularly, until the potatoes begin brown (about 4-5 minutes).
- Add the sliced sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes and kale and cook for a further 4ish minutes, until the mushrooms are cooked through.
- Stir in tin of baked bins and stir everything together well.
- Cook for a few minutes until hot, and serve.