I had Welsh cakes for the first time a few years ago when we were in Wales with my husband’s work. I loved them as a snack with a cuppa and have made them lots of times since.
You’ll never notice this yummy version is vegan – and its really easy and quick to make with just a frying pan, perfect for when you have guests coming over soon or you just want a quick snack.
Vegan Welsh Cakes
- 1 cup plain flour
- Half tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup dairy-free spread (I used Pure sunflower spread)
- 1/4 cup of caster sugar ( I used golden caster)
- A handful of sultanas
- Half a tsp mixed spice (or mix of cinnamon / ginger / nutmeg)
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy milk (soya, almond or oat)
- A bit extra sugar, for sprinkling
- Add the flour, baking powder, mixed spice and salt to a mixing bowl and stir together.
- Rub in the spread until it resembles crumbly breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar and sultanas.
- Add the milk and mix together to form a dough that is slightly sticky. You may need to add more flour if it is too wet.
- Flour a surface and rolling pin and roll out until it is about half an inch thick.
- Cut into circles using a cookie cutter.
- Put a dry frying pan over a medium heat and fry them for a couple of minutes each side, until golden.
- Sprinkle with sugar before serving. These reheat great in a warmed oven or microwave.