You would never know this awesome victoria sponge was vegan! After much experimenting and several flops of too dense, too crumbly, too not-like-regular-cake recipes we have finally settled on this as our go-to sponge cake.
I filled mine with strawberry jam and this buttercream frosting – it was amazing. Let me know if you give this a go 🙂 L x
Vegan Victoria Sponge Recipe
250g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 250g caster sugar
- 75ml sunflower oil
- 250ml soya milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180* C Fan 170*C. Grease and line two sandwich tins with baking paper ( or a circle of foil if you don’t have baking paper – I never seem to!).
- Pour the milk into a bowl, add the vinegar and stir: this will make it curdle. Set aside.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl and add the caster sugar.
- Pour the milk/vinegar mixture, oil and vanilla essence into the flour and mix well.
- Divide the cake batter between the two tins and bake for 25-30 minutes (they are cooked when they go slightly golden on top and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean).
- Leave until completely cool, then fill with jam and vegan buttercream or whipped cream!