A fabulous vegan alternative to cheese straws, these pesto pastry straws take just a few minutes to throw in the oven and are perfect for a quick snacks or as part of a party spread.
My girls absolutely love these and we devour a tray of them in record time! I use Jus Rol puff pastry sheets which are vegan, and make these take just seconds to make. You can use and jarred or homemade pesto you like. I always have a jar of Sacla brand vegan pesto in the fridge, it’s the best!
You can cut and bake them straight, make mini bite size pieces, or turn them into twists if you are feeling fancy.
Vegan Pesto ‘Cheese’ Straws
- 1 sheet puff pastry (I use Jus-Rol)
- A few tablespoons vegan pesto
- A sprinkle of nutritional yeast / finely grated vegan cheese
- Soy / almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 180*C.
- Lay out the sheet of puff pastry, and spread a thin layer of vegan pesto over half of it.
- Sprinkle a bit of nutritional yeast or vegan cheese over the pesto.
- Fold the other half of the pastry over to encase the pesto, and cut into strips.
- Leave straight or twist them into swirls, and place on a baking tray.
- Brush with a little soy or almond milk to glaze.
- Bake for approx 8-12 minutes, or until golden. Enjoy!