A quick 20 minute dinner, that all cooks in one pot, this healthy, thai curry noodle soup bowl is a weeknight winner!
Dishes like this, packed with noodles and veggies in a flavourful broth always remind me of eating out, so I love that I can recreate that at home for a fraction of the cost, and this recipe is just so quick too.
I’ve been making thai curry noodle soup for years – it came about after having always having leftovers of thai curry, which I would then add rice noodles too along with some veg stock to make an easy meal for lunch for the next day.
This is the from scratch version – and following my success with this one pot tomato spaghetti earlier this week I thought I’d have a go cooking the noodles in the broth and it worked great – yay for less washing up!
I strayed from the recipe below slightly in that I added the coconut milk and curry paste at the end (after the noodles were cooked) as my kids aren’t too keen on very spicy food so this way I could serve their noodles just in plain broth seasoned with some soy sauce and we could still have our spicier version but I wrote the recipe up using the traditional way of making it as I know not everyone has fussy kids to cater to (but you can always do what I did if you do!).
I use these brown rice noodles from Ocado, and this red thai curry paste (be careful if you are vegan as loads of pastes contain shrimp!) but it would work equally well with green curry paste. If you want to change up the veggies, add any hard veggies at the beginning with the peppers and soft stuff like spinach / greens at the end with the carrots.
Let me know in the comments if you have a go at making this, I’d love to hear if you enjoyed it.
Thai Curry Noodle Soup Bowl
- Splash of oil
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1-2 tablespoons thai curry paste
- 2 tablespoons, plus a splash extra coconut milk (canned)
- 200g brown rice udon noodles
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 courgette, julienned
- 1 carrot, julienned
- Toppings – green onions, fresh coriander, crushed peanuts, chilli flakes
- Put a wok over a medium heat and add a splash of oil. Cook the red peppers for about 3 minutes, then add the garlic and spring onion and cook for a further minute.
- Add the thai curry paste, and 2 tablespoons coconut milk and cook for about 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the veg, stock, soy sauce and noodles and cook until the noodles are just cooked through (about 9 minutes but will vary depending which noodles you use so look on the packet!).
- Add the julienned courgette and carrot and cook for another minute or two.
- Serve noodles with a good ladleful of broth, and any toppings as desired.