Absolutely packed with goodness, these super healthy vegan breakfast cookies are about as healthy as cookies get without sacrificing any loveliness! Packed with oats, nuts and dried fruits these are an absolute staple recipe in our house.
We discovered these cookies when were looking for something to eat with our morning smoothie, and I made this after reading several similar recipes and changing them up to make them even healthier.
They only use a really small amount of fat in the form of coconut oil, and a couple of tablespoons of agave nectar or maple syrup to sweeten so they are refined sugar free too. They are unbelievably tasty though and still feel too a bit naughty to eat at breakfast time!
I said to my husband I’d happily eat the whole tin, but they are so filling that even I conceded after a couple of them that perhaps I couldn’t do it.
Our 3 year old can be really fussy, and even she loved them – it was great to watch both the girls scoffing these knowing they were getting so much goodness in!
Super Healthy Vegan Breakfast Cookies
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup apple puree (I use an Ella’s Kitchen baby puree pouch!)
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1.5 cups oats
- 1/2 cup wholewheat flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour (ground almonds – you can buy them in the baking aisle of a supermarket or make your own by processing almonds in a food processor / blender)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- A pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp lightly crushed walnuts
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup raisins (or chocolate chips if you prefer)
- Preheat oven to 170*C.
- In a large bowl mash the bananas then add almond butter, apple puree, baking powder, bicarb, coconut oil, maple syrup, salt, vanilla and stir.
- Add oats, almond flour and wholewheat flour and mix well.
- Add raisins, cranberries, walnuts and stir until well combined.
- Drop cookies by the spoonful onto a baking sheet and press down slightly to flatten as they won’t spread much at all.
- Bake for 12-16 minutes or until the cookies are slightly golden brown.
- Rest on baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Store in an air-tight container to keep fresh for up to 5 days.