Craving sushi? Here’s a super easy way to get your sushi fix with no rolling required! Sticky sushi rice topped with squares of nori, crunchy raw veggies and tofu and dressed with soya sauce / sesame seeds and your favourite sushi fixings.
This is one of my absolute favourite meals – prepare to fall in love.
I only discovered sushi about a year ago (late to the party or what?!), via the delights of Yo Sushi! which is now one of my favourite places to eat. I seriously crave it when I can’t go often, so this dish is a great way to get my fix in a satisfying meal format.
My kids loved this too – as it’s super easy to split into separate components which is always helpful for fussy kiddos.
You can replace the sushi rice with brown rice to make it a bit healthier, and add whatever toppings you like – raw or cooked veg, tofu (like my easy baked Asian tofu!), sesame seeds, pickled veggies, pickled ginger / wasabi. Don’t forget the soy sauce after too!
I tend to make mine with warm rice that I cook there and then, but you can make extra rice with another meal then serve this up cold the next day – how I’d love a lunchbox full of this!
Easy Vegetable Sushi Bowl
- 250g sushi rice (or regular / brown rice)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar or agave nectar / maple syrup
- Good pinch of salt
- 1 sheet nori, cut up into small pieces.
- Toppings – raw or satueed veggies (carrots / cucumber / peppers / avocado / mushrooms / asparagus), tofu
- Sesame seeds / pickled ginger / wasabi / soy sauce (to serve)
- Cook the rice according to packet instructions.
- Mix together the rice vinegar, salt and sugar / syrup and pour over the rice. Stir well to coat the rice. Use hot or leave to cool.
- Pop the rice into bowls and sprinkle with nori squares.
- Top with desired toppings and sesame seeds / pickled ginger / wasabi to taste.
- Douse with soya sauce and devour!