Crunchy, delicious southern fried tofu ‘chicken’. Recipe for my homemade seasoned flour, which mixed with non-dairy milk makes a great batter for coating tofu or vegetables.
I love this on salads, or in wraps but if I’m entirely honest we eat half of it straight from the pan! Also great for a vegan Nando’s style meal with sweet potato mash and my homemade macho peas.
Half of the seasoned flour coats about a 200g-300g block of tofu (when mixed with about 12-14 tablespoons non-dairy milk), and the other half stores really well in an airtight container for the next time you want to use it. We are going to use the other half to coat cauliflower.
We use almond milk to make the batter, but you could use any non dairy milk you like. You can also use all plain flour if you prefer a thinner coating, – or use all self raising for a bubblier batter. You can also adapt the seasoned flour mix to suit your taste. Sometimes I leave out the herbs and add in some cajun spice, chilli powder or peri peri seasoning – all delicious!
Homemade Seasoned Flour
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl or container. Use right away or store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- To make my tofu fried chicken, mix half of the seasoned flour with approx 12 tablespoons non dairy milk (or enough to form a smooth dippable batter).
- Cut a 200g block of tofu into cubes and add to the batter (you might have to do this in batches..
- Heat a a thin layer of olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Shallow fry the tofu in batches until golden, it does take a bit of time but add the tofu a piece at a time to the pan or you will be left with a big sticky mass if you pour it in!). When the bottom is brown turn so they go golden all over.
- Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper (you can keep warm in the oven so it is all hot to serve together).