Vegan Sticky Chinese Tofu
For the tofu:
- 1 block of firm tofu
- 3-4 tablespoons corn flour
- A good glug of groudnnut (or other) oil
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tabespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 shakes red pepper flakes (optional – you can leave these out if you don’t want it spicy!)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 spring onions, chopped (optinal, for topping)
- Mix together all sauce ingredients except the sesame oil, garlic and spring onions and set aside.
- Heat a frying pan over medium with about a 1/2 inch of oil inside. While heating, chop tofu into cubes. Coat each cube with cornflour and then add to the pan and cook until brown and crispy. You may have to turn up the heat under the pan to medium high. When golden, remove from frying pan and set aside on paper towels.
- Wipe pan clean and add sesame oil, spring onions, and crushed garlic. Cook for a minute or two until softened and fragrant. Add sauce mixture to pan, bring to the boil, and simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Add the tofu into mixture and toss to coat. Top with slices spring onions if you wish and serve over my vegan fried rice.