Vegan ‘Egg’ Fried Rice
- 250g (uncooked weight) white or wholegrain rice (I use wholegrain – you don’t have to let it cool to stop it going mushy like white rice)
- Oil (I used groundnut)
- 2 spring onions (scallions), finely sliced
- Half a carrot, very finely sliced then chopped
- 2 mushrooms, very finely chopped
- Handful of frozen peas
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Handful firm tofu, crumbled (around 50g)
- Half teaspoon turmeric
- Soy sauce
- Cook brown rice according to packet instructions.
- Put a wok over a medium / high heat. Add a splash of oil, and the crushed garlic and spring onion.
- Fry for a minute or so then crumble in the tofu. Sprinkle over the turmeric and season with salt and pepper.
- Fry for a couple of minutes, then add the carrots, mushrooms and peas and a good glug of soy sauce.
- Fry for 2-3 more minutes until the veg and tofu has cooked through.
- Add the cooked rice, and mix it all together. Add more soy sauce, turmeric and salt and pepper to your taste. Fry for a few minutes and serve.