Butternut Squash Macaroni ‘Cheese’
- Half a butternut squash
- 1 heaped tablespoon vegan butter / spread (I used Suma soya spread)
- 1 heaped tablespoon plain flour
- 400ml of almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder (or a crumbled stock cube)
- 6 tablespoons nutritional yeast ( or more / less to taste)
- Pasta of choice – we used rigatoni, and 200g was plenty for 2 adults and 2 kids
- To roast the squash, preheat oven to 200*C. Prepare the butternut squash by chopping in half, deseeding, peeling and chopping off the top and bottom.
- Chop the squash into chunks, pop into a tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook in the oven for around 45 minutes.
- To make the cheese sauce, add the vegan butter to a saucepan and place over a low heat until fully melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the flour to make a paste.
- Add the almond milk and place back over a medium heat. Stir the sauce constantly over the heat until a smooth sauce is formed.
- Add the bouillon powder and nutritional yeast and stir into the sauce.
- Add the roasted squash and the cheese sauce to a blender (or blend with a hand blender) and whizz until a smooth sauce is formed. You might need to add some more almond milk to reach your preferred thickness. Season to taste.
- Cook your pasta according to packet instructions, drain and add the sauce.
- Enjoy, we served our with broccoli in pesto dressing!