Slow Cooker Vegetable Stew
- 1-2 onions
- 2-3 Carrots
- 1-2 Parsnips
- 1 small swede
- 4-5 potatoes
- A handful of broccoli florets
- Several tablespoons dried red lentils (optional but recommended – they pretty much disappear into the sauce, help thicken the stew and are really good for you too!)
- Several tablespoons pearl barley (optional)
- 1.4 litres of gravy
- Peel and chop all the veg into similar size chunks and add to your slow cooker.
- Add the red lentils and pearl barley and pour over the gravy.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours. The stew will likely be quite watery and thin at this stage even if your gravy was thick to start with. To thicken mix a tablespoon of cornflour with some cold water in a cup, pour into the stew and stir for a minute or two until thickened. (Add further cornflour mixed with cold water a bit at a time if needed, until it’s as thick as you like)
- Once thickened, add the dumplings (recipe below) and cook for an extra 40 minutes or so.