Potato and Leek Stew / Soup
- 2 Carrots (chopped into chunks)
- 1 Stick Celery (finely chopped)
- 3 medium potatoes (chopped into chunks)
- 2 Leeks (sliced)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- A glug of olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic (crushed)
- 800ml vegetable stock (enough to cover you veg plus about 1 inch above)
- A sprinkling of dried herbs (you can used mixed herbs, or I use a little sprinkling of sage and thyme). Add just a pinch at first – you can add more but not take it away!
- Add a glug of olive oil to a large pan, put over a medium heat and add the carrots, celery, garlic, onion and leeks.
- Cook for a 3-4 minutes, stirring often until the veg has are slightly softened.
- Add the vegetable stock, the potatoes and a sprinkling of herbs. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until all the veg is soft and cooked through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To give a thicker ‘gravy’, pop a stock blender into the stew and give a few whizzes so a little bit blends into the sauce. If you don’t want an immersion blender, you could also transfer one or two cups to a jug blender, whizz until smooth and then stir back into the rest.