One Pot Tomato Spaghetti
200g spaghetti ( I used wholewheat)
- Good glug of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, very finely chopped or grated
- 1 courgette, very finely chopped or grated
- 2 garlic cloves
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp sugar (or maple syrup)
- 2-3 cups vegetable stock (about 500-750ml)
- Herbs – a pinch of dried or fresh parsley / basil / oregano or mix of italian herbs (optional)
- Salt / pepper (to season)
- Handful of spinach (optional)
- Add a glug of olive oil to a large saucepan.
- Place over a medium heat and add the onion. Cook for 3 minutes or so, until translucent.
- Add the garlic, carrots and courgette and cook for a further minute.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, sugar, and 2 cups of vegetable stock. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the herbs (if using) and the spaghetti and cook for another 15 minutes or until the spaghetti is cooked to your liking, stirring regularly and adding a bit more of the reserved cup of stock if needed to thin the sauce to desire consistency (I only needed to add a touch more right at the end).
- Throw in the spinach (if using) for the last minute or so of cooking and keep stirring until it wilts into the sauce.