One Pot Mexican Quinoa
- A glug of olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2-1 chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- Half a red pepper, finely chopped
- Half an onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup dried quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup black beans (ones from a tin – drained and rinsed)
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup tinned sweetcorn
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 avocado, halved, stone removed, peeled and diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Heat olive oil in a large wok / saucepan over medium high heat. Add garlic and chopped chilli if using and cook for about 3-4 minutes, until fragrant.
- Stir in quinoa, vegetable stock, beans, tomatoes, corn, chilli powder and cumin.
- Bring to a boil and cover (I didn’t have a lid big enough so just used foil). Reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is cooked through, this will take about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped chunks of avocado, lime juice and coriander and season with salt and pepper, to taste. You can add extra chilli powder and cumin to your taste at this point, if you feel it needs it.