Naturally Sweetened Rhubarb Cordial Recipe
- 500g rhubarb, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 3/4 of a cup of maple syrup
- The juice of half a lemon (and a strip of rind)
- The juice of an orange (and a couple of strips of rind)
- 500ml water
- Add all the ingredients to a pan and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the rhubarb has completely fallen apart / goes mushy.
- Strain into a jug through a fine sieve or a piece of muslin cloth. Leave the sieve or bag draining for at least an hour to make sure all the juicy goodness strains through.
- Pour the cordial into a bottle, letting it cool completely before refrigerating. Serve, diluted to taste with sparkling / still water or lemonade, ice and a slice of lemon / few mint leaves.
P.s Don’t forget to keep the rhubarb you strained for adding to other dishes – recipe for my coconut yoghurt, rhubarb and granola pots coming soon!