Creamy Cajun Vegetable Pasta
- 250g pasta (I use brown rice fusilli)
- A few good handfuls chopped vegetables (I used a mix of red onion, peppers, courgette and aubergine, would have used mushrooms too if I had any in)
- A handful of spinach
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- A sprinkling to several teaspoons of cajun spices (to taste)
- A handful of cashew nuts (soaked in water for a few hours, then drained – skip the soaking if you have a high speed blender like a Vitamix)
- Cook the pasta in a large pan of salty water, according to packet instructions.
- While the pasta cooks, add a good glug of olive oil to a frying pan and saute the vegetables over a medium heat, with a good sprinkling of cajun spices.
- Add the tin of tomatoes, drained cashews, a few spoonfuls of the cooked vegetables, and some more cajun spice to a blender and puree until it becomes a smooth sauce.
- Heat the sauce through on the hob, adding in the rest of the cooked veg and the spinach. Combine and cook until the sauce is hot and the spinach has wilted. Add more cajun spice / salt / pepper to your taste.
- Stir through the pasta and serve, or bake in the oven until a nice crispy topping has formed. Yum!