This simple tomato and basil bruschetta is perfect for a healthy, quick and easy lunch or as a starter with an Italian meal.
No faffing around with boiling or peeling tomatoes here! This recipe takes just five minutes to prepare. If you can, leave the bruschetta mix in the fridge for half an hour for the flavours to mix, but I often don’t do this if I want a quick lunch and its still pretty damn good!
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1/2 to 1 small clove garlic (I added one but I love garlic – use less if you like)
- Approx 2-3 basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and black pepper
- One ciabatta roll or several slices of baguette
- Chop the tomatoes into small pieces and add to a mixing bowl.
- Finely chop the basil leaves and add to the bowl.
- Crush in the garlic clove.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of oil and and one teaspoon of balsamic vinegar.
- Season with salt and pepper and give it all a good mix.
- Pop the mix in the fridge for at least half an hour to let the flavours mingle.
- When you are ready to serve, lightly toast your bread and spoon on the tomato mixture.