This simple courgette tart is a really easy recipe that takes just a couple of minutes to throw together but still feels really home-made and satisfying. It is a great recipe for using up leftover courgettes and the garlic and herb vegan cream cheese makes it lovely and tasty.
It is similar to puff pastry pizzas, which are firm favourite in our house. The best thing about this recipe though? It has a green vegetable on and my toddler will eat it!
Note: Please ignore how dog eared my pastry looks in the photos, yours will look much prettier and rise better! On the day I decided to make this in the photos, I realised at the last minute that I had no puff pastry sheets so I had to run to the corner shop. But could only get frozen pastry and a block not a sheet! So I then had to defrost it in the microwave which turned it into one big wet sloppy mush that I had to attempt to roll out. But we got there in the end and it tasted great 🙂
1 tub vegan cream cheese (with garlic and herbs optional)
1 sheet puff pastry (I use Jus Rol – its vegan)
1. Pre heat oven to 190*C (180*C for fan ovens)
2. Pop the sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured baking tray.
3. Score a 1cm border around the edge of the pastry with a sharp knife (this lets the outside rise and keeps your filling in the middle).
4. Smear a thin layer of cream cheese all over the inner square of your pastry.
5. Shave your courgette into thin strips using a mandolin, a vegetable peeler or a cheese slice to get it really thin. If you don’t have any of these slicing them thinly with a knife is fine.
6. Lay the courgette slices on top of the cheese.
7. Bake for 12-18 mins or until the pastry is cooked and golden (to check you can pop a spatula underneath it, it is isn’t soggy anymore it is done).