The perfect fruit salad to put out at BBQ’s, parties or Christmas, this colourful fruit salad has a gorgeous sweet citrusy sauce that makes it a great light dessert.
My nan’s fruit salad was always a welcome addition to a buffet table as I was growing up, amongst all the naughty and heavy foods we’d be eating at christmas or parties 🙂 I pinched the recipe off her a a couple of months ago, when we had our in laws coming for lunch a few days after Christmas and we were so full of post-christmas over indulgence that I wanted to put out a nice light dessert. This would also be a really good BBQ dessert come summer!
It is super easy to make, and can be made ahead of time as the lemon and lime juice in the sauce stops apple / pear browning. Just leave out any really soft fruits like raspberries and bananas and add these just before serving.
Lovely with cream (I like Alpro soya cream), yoghurt or ice cream.
Party Fruit Salad
- 3oz (85g) sugar
- Half a pint (285ml) hot water
- The juice of lemon
- The juice of a lime
- 2 apple (peeled and chopped into bite size pieces)
- 2 pears (peeled and chopped)
- A good handful or strawberries (stalks cut off, and chopped)
- 1 large slice of melon (skin removed and chopped)
- A handful of red and green grapes (halved)
- 1 small tin of mandarin segments (drained)
- Handful off raspberries
- 2-3 bananas (peeled and sliced) you need enough to go around the edge of your serving bowl (you could also alternative pieces of banana and kiwi)
- Add the sugar to the hot water and stir until dissolved.
- Mix in the lemon and lime juice and leave until almost completely cool.
- Add all the chopped fruit to serving bowl (except soft fruit like raspberries and bananas) and pour over sauce to cover. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Add in the raspberries, place sliced banana around the perimeter of the bowl and serve 🙂