A gorgeous vegan version of a chasseur style casserole – herby, tomatoey, saucy and delicious, with mushrooms instead of the traditional chicken.
Lovely served atop rice or mashed potatoes, this would also be gorgeous as a topping on jacket potato (so save some for leftovers the next day!)
Mushroom Chasseur Recipe
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic, crushed
- 400g mushrooms
- A good glug of olive oil
- a handful of fresh thyme (or s prinkling of dried mixed herbs)
- 100ml red wine or 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar)
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 vegetable stock cube, crumbled or a teaspoon of veg stock powder
- 1 can of water (refill the tomato can)
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a low heat and add the onion, garlic, carrot and mushrooms.
- Pick the thyme leaves and scatter over the top.
- Cook for 10 minutes until the onions have softened.
- Add the tomatoes, wine / vinegar and stock cube and bring to the boil.
- Bring to a simmer, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, adding water from the can as you need to keep the sauce at the thickness you like.
- Season well, to taste, and serve with rice or mashed potatoes.