All the naughty taste of chocolate mint but these energy bites made with nuts, dates and raw cacao powder are completely healthy!
My husband has been really getting into running recently, after starting a running course and reading a book about plant-based athlete Scott Durek. While he is out on his runs I often like to knock him up a little high protein snack for when he gets home. Chocolate mint is his favourite, so I often make these no-bake energy bites.. They are really similar to the chocolate mint Nakd bars, but have a slightly more earthy flavour from the walnuts.
You can also add a tablespoon of vegan protein powder to these for an extra goodness hit if you like.
They last well in the fridge for a week, I think they are even yummier second day when the nuts have softened too.
Hope you like these, they certainly don’t last long around here!
Mint Chocolate Energy Balls
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2/3 cup almonds
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 9 Medjool dates (soaked in warm water for about 10 minutes and drained)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Pulse the walnuts and almonds in a food processor until they are finely chopped.
- Add the cocoa powder, maple syrup, dates, salt and 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract. Process for 2 minutes or until a thick oily dough is formed.(You may have to scrape down the sides of the food processor a few times). If the dough is too dry, add a drop more maple syrup or a splash of water.
- Taste the dough and add extra cacao powder / peppermint extract to taste. Roll into bowls, place on a plate and pop into the fridge until hardened.