These really tasty marinated portobello mushroom burgers make a great quick vegan dinner and are fab thrown on the BBQ too.
I served ours on wholemeal buns, topped with some rocket salad to go with the italian flavours going on in the marinade. I also added sliced tomato, red onion, and ketchup and served them with my homemade vegan ‘cheesey’ seasoned wedges (recipe to follow!).
These are lovely grilled or cooked in a griddle or frying pan- I plan to eat lots of these in summertime, how I love BBQ season!! For a less bread-y / grain free variation, they’d be yummy sliced up and served in a wrap or pittas or tossed on top of a lovely salad.
Enjoy! L x
Marinated Portobello Mushroom Burgers
- 4 portobello / large cap mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons balsamic
- 2 large or 3 small cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Optional – A sprinkling of dried italian herbs (or a mix of oregano / rosemary / basil)
- Mix all the ingredients together and spoon / brush onto the mushroom caps. Leave them to marinate in a bowl (or lidded tupperware container – you can just shake the box then every now and again to coat in marinade!) for at least a couple of hours.
- When it comes to cooking, you can grill the mushrooms for about 8-9 minutes each side, or cook them in a griddle / frying pan for about 5-7 minutes each side (no need to add any oil!).
- Slice up your buns, top and serve 🙂