Gorgeously warm and comforting leek and onion soup with a touch of sage, perfect served with my vegan cheesey toast croutons. The croutons are made with my vegan cashew cheese, but you could make them with a store bought vegan cheese too.
I mentioned in my post about our new allotment that we have loads of leeks that need digging up and eating as soon as possible, so I have been trying to think of lots of things to do with them! I make this lovely leek and potato soup loads, but I was wanting something a bit different today – more of a (vegan friendly) french onion type soup.
You can use whatever mix of leeks and onions you like or have lying around – you just want to make sure it is about 1kg chopped weight to 4 pints of stock, for me this was 3 red onions, 3 white onions and 4 leeks.
This is the perfect comfort food soup, and I’m pretty sure it’ll be my new go-to soup when any of us are are feeling under the weather as it just feels so nourishing!
I left it chunky for us, but blended it for the kids and it blended into a really lovely creamy soup too if you prefer smoother soups.
Enjoy 🙂 L x
Leek and Onion Soup
- Glug of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed or finely sliced)
- A teaspoon of dried sage
- 1kg thinly sliced leeks and onions
- Salt and pepper
- 4 pints of vegetable stock
For the croutons:
- Bread of your choice (works best with slices of baguette or ciabatta, but does work with normal bread cut into circles if you don’t have any – I didn’t!)
- Cashew cheese (recipe linked in the )
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Pinch of dried sage
- Add a glug of olive oil to a large saucepan, and put over a medium heat.
- Add the garlic and sage. Fry for a minute, then add the onions / leeks and a good sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- Pop a lid on the saucepan and cook for around 35 minutes, until caramelised and sweet.
- Pour over the stock and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve as is, or blend until smooth.
For the croutons:
- Toast bread on both sides, then spread with cashew cheese.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and sage and pop under a medium grill until melted / golden.
- Drop the croutons into the soup to serve.