Super easy copycat recipe for making delicious Nando’s macho peas at home! They are completely vegan too 🙂
I first tried Nando’s macho peas a few weeks ago and I was absolutely bowled away. I am not normally a big fan of peas (is anyone really a big fan of peas?!) but they were so so tasty flavoured with parsley, mint and chilli that they were my favourite part of the whole meal.
Being the food obsessive that I am, one teeny bowl was no where near enough to satisfy me, so I set out to recreate the recipe at home as soon as I could.
I used fresh mint and parsley but I’m sure dried would substitute OK if fresh wasn’t available. I also used frozen red chilli (because I never use enough chilli to warrant buying fresh ones, and I hate getting burny fingers chopping it!) and just defrosted the frozen chilli for a second in the butter.
We served ours Nando’s stylee with seasoned fried tofu, sweet potato mash, spicy rice and oodles of Peri Peri sauce! I’m really pleased to be able to get my fix of these from home now, and I hope you like them too,
Homemade Nando’s Macho Peas
- Peas (a handful per person, I used frozen petit pois)
- Knob of butter (or vegan spread) or a splash of olive oil
- Pinch of finely chopped red chilli (per person)
- Pinch of finely chopped fresh parsley (per person)
- Pinch of finely chopped mint (per person)
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the peas in salted water for around 4-5 minutes (according to pack instructions if using frozen). Drain.
- Remove a third of the peas to another bowl and mash them with a fork or potato masher.
- Heat a knob of butter or splash of oil in a pan (enough to just coat your peas) and add the chilli, then the parsley and mint.
- Stir in the whole and mashed peas, season well with salt and pepper and mix well. Add more mint or parsley to taste.
- Heat through and serve.