Easy and perfect vegan pancakes. Not the fluffier American style breakfast pancakes, these traditional English pancake day pancakes are thinner and akin to French crepes.
Our girls are big fans of pancakes and we used to make lots of my easy no measure pancakes before we went vegan. While we quickly found a recipe we liked for fluffy American style pancakes (I’ll share that soon!) we had really struggled to find a decent vegan recipe to recreate the deliciously more-ish thin pancakes that we would eat heaps of on pancake day, slathered in lemon juice and loads of sugar!
After much recipe testing and fiddling we have finally settled on this recipe as spot on, you’d never know it wasn’t a traditional eggy mix!
These also work really well with gluten free flour, I use Dove’s Farm plain white flour blend – just add a dash of extra milk as GF flour can be a bit thirstier!
Easy Vegan Pancakes / Crepes
- 1 and a half cups (or 200g) flour – white or wholemeal
- 1 and a half cups soy or almond milk (375ml)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Half a teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Half a teaspoon vanilla extract
- Small pinch of salt
- Mix all the ingredients together in a jug and whisk well until it forms a smooth batter. I use an electric whisk.
- Put a frying pan over a medium heat and spray your pan with a couple of sprays of oil, or small knob of vegan spread / butter.
- When the oil is hot add a small amount of mixture to your frying pan and tip the pan to spread it to the edges.
- Cook until lightly golden underneath then flip to cook the other side.
- When both sides are lightly golden remove to a plate, top with your favourite topping and enjoy!