A great way to sneak veggies into fussy kids, these egg and dairy free yummy sweetcorn fritters are a great quick vegan breakfast or lunch, or easy tea served with a jacket potato. Delicious with ketchup / salsa or sweet chilli sauce for grown ups 🙂
Even my littlest (who likes everything but sweetcorn and peas which she flat out refuses) wolfed these down. I blended the batter for a few minutes in my blender to break them down. You can blend to a completely smooth batter, leave slightly chunky, or leave the sweetcorn whole and just mix with the other ingredients.
You can vary the basic recipe by adding, any herbs and spices you like – finely chopped garlic, fresh herbs likes chives or parsley, and dried paprika or chilli powder all would be nice additions.
They also freeze well to make as a quick snack to have on hand – To freeze them, wrap cooled fritters in foil in singles. To serve preheat the oven to 170*C and put the frozen fritters on a baking sheet. Bake for approximately 8 minutes, until reheated.
Easy Sweetcorn Fritters
- 80g plain flour
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- 3 quarters of a tablespoon baking powder
- 100ml water
- 1 small can of sweetcorn (200g tin – 170g drained weight)
- 2 spring onions (finely chopped)
- Olive or sunflower oil – save for frying
- Either, add the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl, then add the water and stir to make a batter. Add in the sweetcorn and mix again.
- Or, for fritters without chunks of sweetcorn, add all ingredients to a blender and blend until combined. You can leave slightly chunky, like I did or blend until completely smooth.
- Add a glug of olive oil to a frying pan over a medium heat. Fry spoonfuls of the mixture in batches until golden brown on both sides.