It is so hot here I am hating cooking hot meals at the moment. This homemade coleslaw is a great side for with BBQ’s, on a sandwich or to top a jacket potato.
I had never tried making my own coleslaw until a few months ago. I love the coleslaw you get in restaurants but I find the stuff from supermarkets is always disappointing and often quite expensive.
My simple homemade coleslaw recipe is really tasty, and you can make a large amount fairly cheaply. How to make it: You really don’t have to measure your ingredients well with coleslaw, pretty much anything goes. I aim for roughly a handful of everything but onion – I used a bit too much onion in my first few attempts so just be mindful not to use a lot as it tastes strong when grated.
The ingredients are listed below and you can see the approx. amounts I’ve used in the picture here. Don’t leave out the grated apple – I got this tip from a resturant I love and it really makes this extra yummy!
- Approx 2 grated carrots
- 1 large handful grated white cabbage
- a bit of grated red onion (just a couple of grates on the grater! Don’t use too much onion – it tastes really strong when grated.)
- 1 apple, peeled and grated
- A few tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- A sprinkling chopped or dried chives (optional)
- Salt and Pepper
- A squeeze of lemon juice (optional)
1. Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl.
2. Add a few tablespoons mayonnaise, some salt and pepper, a little squeeze of lemon juice and some chopped chives if using.
3. Give it a really good mix and add more mayo until it is as moist as you like.
Enjoy! L x