This gorgeous creamy vegan coleslaw features lovely crunchy veggies mixed with a flavourful cashew based creamy dressing that makes a nice change from mayonnaise.
I usually make this easy coleslaw recipe from our pre-vegan days, but with vegan mayo now instead of traditional, however I fancied trying a cashew based dressing as I’m trying to get into the habit of using more ‘clean’ whole foods instead of store bought / more processed products where I can / have the time. If you don’t have time for the dressing though, store bought vegan mayo will do just fine 🙂
I was lazy and just shredded all the veggies with the grater blade on my food processor, but you can shred / grate by hand too.
I will definitely be making this lots for BBQ’s in summer ( *Homer Simpson Voice* “mmmmm, BBQ’s”) as I just love red cabbage in coleslaw, and the roasted sesame seeds on top add a lovely flavour and crunch too. We had ours with lentil / mushroom burgers, new potatoes and salad, then with jacket potatoes the next day – yum!
Hope you enjoy. L x
Creamy Vegan Coleslaw Recipe
For the coleslaw:
- Half a red cabbage, finely sliced
- Half a green cabbage, finely sliced
- 2 medium sized carrots, grated
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 eating apple, grated
- Toasted sesame seeds (to serve)
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup cashews (soaked in water for a few hours beforehand)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp wholegrain or dijon mustard
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup
- 1.5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup water
- Few good pinches of chives (fresh or dried)
- Pinch of pepper
- Mix all coleslaw ingredients (except sesame seeds) in a bowl.
- Drain the cashews and add to a blender along with all the other dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over coleslaw, mix well and sprinkle over sesame seeds if using.